[nSLUG] Re: Anyone else use xtide?

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed Jun 22 11:04:41 ADT 2011

D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering if we have any users in Nova Scotia who found xtide
> useful.

Never used xtide.  But at certain times, I want to know the tide,
especially in winter when piles of seaweed wash up on Crescent Beach
and I want to drive over there to collect it at low tide for summer
use as garden mulch.  Has to be low tide to get the truck alongside
the piles.

Used to be you could download predicted data for a month as text.
I had a script to do that.

Then they got cute and fixed it so you had to specify a date in a form
and get tide times for a week at a time.  Tedious rebuild of script to
manipulate the date locally for building the form-data URL, rinse and
repeat till it has fetched a couple of month's data.  I run this
manually whenever I notice that my locally saved data is out of date.

Then I have another script that loads the local file into less and puts
today's date at the top.  The command "tide" in a xterm does that.

I just went to look at the waterlevels.gc.ca web site again.  Seems
it's just luck that my script is still working since their web
designer is struggling to earn its keep and they've put the selection
of TZ (for building the URL for the data sought) into a little
javascript squib -- as if it weren't known beforehand which TZ each
Canadian city is in -- so browsewr access breaks if js is disabled.

I suppose the m*f*s are just going to go on engineering and improving
my Web Experience until the tide data is completly inaccessible unless
I piddle through the New & Improved Interactive Web Experience with a
browser.  Ho hum.

Well, if you can use a perl script that fetches tide data and saves
it like this, I can post or send it.  Just have to replace 455 with
your desired station number on the North Shore.

    # TIDES: Station: Lunenburg (455)
    # Begin: 2011-06-22

    Jun-22    01:13  High  (1.7)
    Jun-22    07:57  Low   (0.6)