[nSLUG] Rating a Linux distribution by the response to the same bug

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 15:34:27 ADT 2011

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Joe Dunn <me at joedunn.com> wrote:

> Hey Donald
>
> Did you call support to have this bug triaged? Customer support will work
> with you to get this to the right place and update you directly on
> progress.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Joe

In the past we did establish Redhat support contract on a test box
just to reproduce the CIFS bug for them.  That produced a better
package 10 months later, and an offer to try out the beta only
2 weeks prior to the general release (9.5 months after report).

Currently, we don't have support with Redhat, only subscriptions.
We can't afford it, and can only afford Redhat at all due
to $60 Educational licensing.

I'm not really put out by this bug so we can wait.  We have a cron
to test authentication and if it fails, saslauthd and winbind are restarted,
clearing up the fd + socket resource leak.  But it might impact others
unaware
of the problem and it be nice to be able to turn off this workaround some
day.

I kinda like measuring the bug fix performance with all things being
equal.  I didn't offer cash to the Debian developers to fix it either.

--Donald