[nSLUG] Problems with Ubuntu following upgrade to release 10.04.2 LTS

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Wed Jul 27 16:00:36 ADT 2011

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 11:24:56AM -0300, Frank Geitzler wrote:

> Umbutu starts up, but when the logon prompt should appear on the
> desktop, I hear three drum rolls and the system appears to hang.

I had a similar problem. The solution for me was to disable the grub
graphics mode. To do this:

Edit /etc/default/grub.

Uncomment or add the line:
GRUB_TERMINAL=console

Rebuild grub.cfg with the command:
sudo /usr/sbin/update-grub

Another posibility is that you have an old xorg.conf file. Xorg.conf
is generally no longer needed. You could try:

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-old_backup
sudo service gdm restart

--
sg