[nSLUG] Problems with Ubuntu following upgrade to release 10.04.2 LTS

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 27 11:24:56 ADT 2011

On July 13, 2011, I started Update Manager on my Compaq Presario CQ61 to
see if there were any recent updates I should apply.  It indicated that
the LTS release I had been using was no longer supported, and the only
update now available was to the above release.  I decided to install
that release, and did so successuflly.  Everything appeared to go well,
and a few days later (unfortunately, I didn't note the date when this
occurred) I checked for further updates and saw that there were about 9
available, including some security updates.  What harm could it do?  I
selected to install them all, and did so.  Again, it appeared to be
successful, but since then when I attempt to start up my system, Umbutu
starts up, but when the logon prompt should appear on the desktop, I
hear three drum rolls and the system appears to hang.
I have dual boot with Windows7, which does boot up successfully (and
which did an automatic update about the same time as the problem
appeared).  Someone at the Halifax Computer Club Monday night suggested
that the Windows update may have interfered with the dual boot process.
I suppose that is possible, but don't have the background Linux
experience to figure out the problem.  I can boot into a command line,
and could look around if I know where to look, and if I knew what I was
looking at.  I plan to bring it to the meeting on August 8th, and would
welcome any suggestions or assistance in the meantime.  I am running
WindowsXP on my desktop system, which does not have Linux installed.
Frank Geitzler