[nSLUG] Wepage Development (Was: Reschedule next meeting...)

Richard Bonner ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca
Fri Jul 22 09:27:47 ADT 2011

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011, Michael Gillie wrote:

> In regards to this whole "Doodle" conversation, I have to add my
> minute web developer's 2 cents worth.
>
> First of all, we come to rely on eye candy so much, that we aren't
> considering the visually disabled. Sites look great to the average,
> uninhibited individual. It's the irresponsible coders that aren't
> using proper syntax, or using the correct tags when needed. Below
> all the "pretty colours", we need to remember to keep the framework
> basic and clean.

***   I agree totally.  The late Norman Deforest influenced me to code
accessible webpages, not only for the handicapped, but also for the
less well off that don't have the latest computer setups or software.

    I once attended a lecture given by a CNIB member. It really opened
my eyes as to the hassles that the handicapped go through to translate
some websites to a given handicap.

> Secondly, some people can not afford, do not want to pay for, or
> absolutely detest anything they deem to be outside their personal
> requirements. This is not a hateful comment, just a casual
> observation.

***   It's an accurate observation. I am one of them to some extent,
and I run into plenty others.

    If I *must* have a plug-in, update or other to view a webpage, I
just can't be bothered. If the author can't be bothered to code in
accessibility, then why should I bother with his site? There are
plenty of alternative sites out there.

> For example, some of us choose linux because we want control. Some
> of us want more control than others. Some want less. Others of us
> opt more for the other open source options available, such as DOS.
> We all have personal needs, requirements and tastes. What works for
> one person, may be completely unreasonable for another.
>
> I'm not saying to disregard the way a site looks and appeals to the
> eye. I'm also not saying we have excuses for not making our web
> sites accessible. In today's society, the developers need to
> consider all sides, and meet the needs of the user.
>
> Michael

***   Every book I have ever read on webpage authoring says exactly
that. Kudos, Michael.

  Richard