[nSLUG] apt policy weight

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 10:51:45 ADT 2011

I have one system which shows different weights for
squeeze versus squeeze-updates, leading to updates
not getting the higher priority.  I've looked under /etc/apt
and fail to see where the weights are coming from.

I have not pinned anything.

Here is what I get when using ftp.debian.org - the same
story as with dal.ca or york.ca with squeeze-updates
getting a lower weight:

# apt-cache policy
Package files:
 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    release a=now
 500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/non-free amd64 Packages
    release o=Debian,a=stable-updates,n=squeeze-updates,l=Debian,c=non-free
    origin ftp.debian.org
 500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/contrib amd64 Packages
    release o=Debian,a=stable-updates,n=squeeze-updates,l=Debian,c=contrib
    origin ftp.debian.org
 500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main amd64 Packages
    release o=Debian,a=stable-updates,n=squeeze-updates,l=Debian,c=main
    origin ftp.debian.org
 990 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/non-free amd64 Packages
    release v=6.0.2.1,o=Debian,a=stable,n=squeeze,l=Debian,c=non-free
    origin ftp.debian.org
 990 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/contrib amd64 Packages
    release v=6.0.2.1,o=Debian,a=stable,n=squeeze,l=Debian,c=contrib
    origin ftp.debian.org
 990 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main amd64 Packages
    release v=6.0.2.1,o=Debian,a=stable,n=squeeze,l=Debian,c=main
    origin ftp.debian.org
 990 http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/non-free amd64 Packages
    release v=6.0,o=Debian,a=stable,n=squeeze,l=Debian-Security,c=non-free
    origin security.debian.org
 990 http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/contrib amd64 Packages
    release v=6.0,o=Debian,a=stable,n=squeeze,l=Debian-Security,c=contrib
    origin security.debian.org
 990 http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main amd64 Packages
    release v=6.0,o=Debian,a=stable,n=squeeze,l=Debian-Security,c=main
    origin security.debian.org
Pinned packages:

Another system I checked does not have these weights - it is 500 for everything.
Neither system has anything under /etc/apt/preferences.d nor
/etc/apt/sources.list.d

Does anyone know where the 990 weight is being set?

--Donald