[nSLUG] Monday, Jan. 10 Meeting at Uncommon Grounds

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Jan 11 08:02:43 AST 2011

On 01/10/2011 04:11 PM, Mike Spencer wrote:
> (1) Why does this happen? If it's on the screen, must it not be
>     resident in the same place as the digital representations of
>     xterms, icons etc.?  Why can't import(1) see it?

As I understand it, X draws a green rectangle and hands off the video to
your video card for accelerated rendering. Read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_video_extension for details.

> (2) What's a workaround, such that I can capture a paused video frame?

Use mplayer -vf screenshot, press 's' on the frame you want to capture
to a shot####.png file to the current directory. If I recall correctly,
this unpauses. If you want to capture several frames in succession,
press 'S' to toggle continuous capture on/off (warning: produces *lots*
of files and can be a bit slow, depending on your hardware).

Ben