[nSLUG] Re: Monday, Jan. 10 Meeting at Uncommon Grounds

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Mon Jan 10 16:11:58 AST 2011

> This evening, such intrepid souls as who think a small bit of
> weather no obstacle to enjoying a pleasant evening out of the cold,
> imbibing coffee...

Well, I should pipe up, check in, just for the record.

Some folx just across town have trouble making a meet.  A small bit of
weather I handle, even a foot of snow.  But I'm sure you'll understand
if I'm reluctant to drive 75 miles, buck rush hour traffic into town,
find a parking place and then, after some conviviality, drive 75 miles
home in the dark.

I'm sure I can count on y'all to tip a mug in my behalf.

ObLinux:

If I run a video stream with mplayer, pause it so that there is a
still frame on the screen, then try to capture it with import(1) (from
the ImageMagick suite), the contents of the video window isn't
captured.  The contents of the video pane just captures a uniform
green panel.

(1) Why does this happen? If it's on the screen, must it not be
    resident in the same place as the digital representations of
    xterms, icons etc.?  Why can't import(1) see it?

(2) What's a workaround, such that I can capture a paused video frame?

- Mike

                                                           /V\