[nSLUG] rsync questions

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 12:24:16 AST 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:48 AM, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> Um.....why didn't I think of that?  Well, when the present router's
> wireless fails (an apparent weakness of this model) that's what I'll
> do.   One more thing to plug into my already overcrowded power
> bars.

Gigabyte has become more affordable now...

There are new gigabit switches available for about $40
which are also "green" in that they conserve energy and
take very little juice for operations.  They do smart things
like power down unused jacks.

I switched (ha, ha - pun) to one of these and I can see
an improvement of moving larger files between the Windows
system and the Atom based Linux server over samba:
about 60M bytes/sec, whereas I was doing about
12M bytes/sec on the 100Mb switch.

In terms of longevity, a plain switch will probably last
much longer than the typical wireless router, so you
can factor that into the price (or rent, if you look at
the current flaky quality of electronics that way).

--Donald