[nSLUG] rsync questions

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 02:59:46 AST 2011

On 23 February 2011 16:07, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:
> Ah, yes.  Occasionally, when tcpdump shows some interesting,
> unsolicited incoming packets, I get a root-owned log in ~.  My backup
> script should do a find(1) for such files before proceeding with
> rsync.

The errors aren't a problem, and the mail automatically alerts you to
fix it, so I wouldn't bother with extra steps like a find, but
"there's more than one way to do it" :)

> What about running rsync --rsh=/usr/bin/rsh on a trusted LAN?
> No encryption overhead.

Sure, it would work, but you'd need to enable rsh.  If you're going to
enable inetd you may as well enable rsync instead of rsh. Or you could
avoid all that and run "while true;do rsync --daemon; sleep 5;done"
out of some startup script (rc.local or create yourself an rc.rsyncd)
or put it in /etc/initab, something like
"rs:345:respawn:/usr/bin/rsync --daemon".

> My DLink 713P router claims to support 100Mbps but doesn't. I have to
> force 100Mbps NICs in the computers to 10Mbps with ethtool

Buy or mooch a cheap 100Mbit switch, move all you equipment to that,
and run just one patch from the switch to the router for Internet and
printing.

-D.