[nSLUG] Re: rsync questions

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed Feb 23 16:36:09 AST 2011

"George N. White III" <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are certainly some dedicated snoopers who use better antennas
> to hack into corporate sites from outside the property line, but do
> they have a reason to be interested in your network?

Well, I don't have enough money to be worth the risk of stealing it
and so far as I know, I haven't attracted the attention of the spooks,
the corporate mafia or the ter'rist underground.  If I were
individually targeted by sophisticated e-spooks, I would be a
pushover.  Just break in when we're out, boot my boxen with a CD and
install rootkit.  Numerous other possibilities.

> With dialup they can't do much spamming or serve much porn, but
> someone wanting to upload a small sensitive document might be happy
> to find an unsecured rural site with dialup access.

See above.  But unreliable for the spook because my wireless router
isn't even on unless I'm using 2 machines at once.

> If you haven't already done so, look into mac address filtering in the
> wireless router.

Router wireless access is restricted to specific MAC addresses.  I
gather that MAC addresses can be spoofed.  So that's not ironclad
either, should someone specifically target me.

Well, if I've got y'all's hacker juices flowing and you just can't
resist coming down here in the dead of night to see if you can crack
my system from the roadside, please put an "NSLUG Member" sign in your
side window so I can cue the fire control system not to use armor
piercing shells. :-) Survivors should come around to the back door and
knock so we can dissect your results over coffee and cookies.

Oh, dang.  The previous paragraph has probably now attracted the
attention of the spooks.  Dang.

- Mike

                                                           /V\