[nSLUG] rsync questions

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Feb 22 04:07:19 AST 2011

Two questions about rsync.  First question:

The manpage says that if...

    (a) you  set an envar RSYNC_PASSWORD to <password>
or
    (b) create a password file that is not world readable, containing
        only the relevant password and pass that filename on the
        command line with --password-file=<filename>

then you won't be prompted for a password when the rsync connection is
established.

Neither of those seems to work for me.  I'm still prompted in either
case.  What am I missing?

I have the same username and user ID on both machines.
/etc/hosts.equiv on DEST includes hostname of SRC. rsync works fine
once password is entered in response to the prompt.  I don't have an
/etc/rsyncd.conf file and I'm not running "rsync --daemon" beforehand
on host DEST.

Second question:

I can either

     use rsync from host SRC to host DEST over my LAN or

     mount a partition of host DEST's HD on host SRC and then
     do rsync "locally".

The traffic has to go over my (not very fast) router in either case.
The mount alternative is simpler.

But am I right in believing that doing the mount method defeats the
capability of rsync to transmit only file differences over the link?

I'm not at all clear on how rsync does this trick but if all the
computation is being done on localhost (SRC), will I be losing the
purported speed gain rsync offers?  Or not?

All this because I want to script a backup plan for ~/ and have a
second computer with a relatively recent HD.

TIA,
- Mike

                                                           /V\