[nSLUG] Google poisoning (Was: KDE 3.x on Squeeze - Trinity anyone?)

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 10:58:03 AST 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 1:39 AM, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> Michael Hannon <mhannon at dal.ca> wrote:
>
> >  Mike Spencer wrote:
> >
> >> But wait!  Our target uses a unique spelling or lexical construct, so
> >> we'll search that!  But google kindly fixes if for you (because you
> >> obviously have made a mistake) and delivers the haystack.  Ho hum.
> >>

> > On that front, you can put a '+' before your search term to force
> > google to search whatever spelling you used (eg '+toshieba' searches
> > for 'toshieba', while 'toshieba' searches for 'toshiba').
>
> Didn't know that.  I routinely use a local copy of the "advanced
> search" page and put anything like that in the "with the exact phrase"
> pane or use double quotes in the "with all of the words" pane.
>
> My gripe was the neither of these enforces exact matching in the way
> you say '+' does.

Like the Alta Vista search design, prefix of - and + are supported.

One way to avoid finding the question you just asked in all
of these echoed and archiving sites, is to add -"Mike Spencer" to
not include copies of your question (since your name is in your sig).
It's a painful extra step but it should work.

I'm just astonished with how quickly these echo sites copy stuff from
the mailing lists, and then how quickly google indexes them.  Back when
I made web sites, I used to tell people google could take a week or more
to index their site.

--Donald