[nSLUG] Google poisoning (Was: KDE 3.x on Squeeze - Trinity anyone?)

Ted Tibbetts intuited at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 02:07:34 AST 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca>wrote:

> So: Anybody know where I can get a pair of size 12, J.B. Goodhue,
> model #07719, "Oil Rigger" style workboots?  Those are the ones with
> the red laces and lacing hooks above the instep, formerly sold under
> the Matterhorn marque.

I'm a bit confused about this example.  My second search was

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=goodhue+work+boots+"oil+rigger"<http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=goodhue+work+boots+%22oil+rigger%22>

<http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=goodhue+work+boots+%22oil+rigger%22>The
first result leads to

http://shoeking.ca/c0031.html#i0000393

<http://shoeking.ca/c0031.html#i0000393>Is that what you are looking for?
 They are decidedly not cheap.

I don't see any "poisoned" results in the top 10.  However, the same boots
do seem to be available from at least one other retailer.

Taking out the terms 'work' and 'boots' gives a result set in which the
first item is a page on the manufacturer's site:

http://www.jbgoodhue.com/product.php?idProduct=531

Does such "poisoning" only last for a short period of time?  I've noticed
that posts on, e.g. stackoverflow.com will rank high in the google results
for an hour or a few and then normally fall down to some lower point.

Salutations
-Ted