[nSLUG] Re: Google poisoning (Was: KDE 3.x on Squeeze - Trinity anyone?)

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Thu Feb 17 01:39:15 AST 2011

Michael Hannon <mhannon at dal.ca> wrote:

>  Mike Spencer wrote:
>
>> But wait!  Our target uses a unique spelling or lexical construct, so
>> we'll search that!  But google kindly fixes if for you (because you
>> obviously have made a mistake) and delivers the haystack.  Ho hum.
>>

> On that front, you can put a '+' before your search term to force
> google to search whatever spelling you used (eg '+toshieba' searches
> for 'toshieba', while 'toshieba' searches for 'toshiba').

Didn't know that.  I routinely use a local copy of the "advanced
search" page and put anything like that in the "with the exact phrase"
pane or use double quotes in the "with all of the words" pane.

My gripe was the neither of these enforces exact matching in the way
you say '+' does.

Thanks,
- Mike

                                                           /V\