[nSLUG] KDE 3.x on Squeeze - Trinity anyone?

Oliver Doepner odoepner at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 21:23:39 AST 2011

Hi Donald,

I have installed Squeeze by now, ditched KDE and use XFCE instead (with
"slim" as login manager) and the network-manager applet from Gnome (wicd did
not work for me). I realized that I use a very minimal desktop and XFCE is
good enough.

The only KDE thing that I will miss are the kio slaves in Konqueror /
Dolphin to access all kinds of network shares, FTP, ssh or HTTP sites and
file types transparently as folders.

Apparently the same thing is planned for XFCE's Thunar (file manager) via
Gnome VFS in XFCE 4.8.

I have not tried Trinity (actively maintained KDE 3.x fork for Ubuntu and
Debian) yet but I have read some good reviews.
Maybe I will try it out on Squeeze and use it as an alternative to XFCE.

cheers
Oliver

-----
Oliver Doepner