[nSLUG] [Somewhat OT] MTA changes header, mssg body lines. What?

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Feb 15 00:47:37 AST 2011

Question for mail gurus:

Experimenting (successfully) with sending MIME multipart/mixed email
from a script, I see that one of the MTAs involved (appears to be
Eastlink) changes the boundary string definition I create in lines like:

where $boundary is some string I made up that is unlikely in text or
base64 data [1] and is compliant with the BNF spec in RFC 1521.

The instances of the boundary string where it constitutes a boundary
within the body of the message are also changed correspondingly.

Is this usual?  Unusual?  Regarded as acceptable?  Deprecated but
tolerated?  Weird?

- Mike

[1] Although not provably so, i.e. not generated by some kind of algorithm
    based on comprehensive knowledge of text corpus, encoding methods
    etc.

                                                           /V\