[nSLUG] Nexuiz and the GPL Violation

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 12:28:48 AST 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 9:42 AM, sheldon Tower <shtower at eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Maybe this is old news, but I've just found out that Lee Vermeulen, founder
> of the open source, GPL'ed, first person shooter game, Nexuiz, was able to
> sell the source code and game content to Illfonic, a console game developer.
> I don't understand how Mr. Vermeulen was able to do this, but it's made me
> question wether or not the GPL has any real legal merit, and if this could
> happen again to other projects. If large, closed source software developers
> don't have some respect for the GPL, many other open source projects could
> be at risk. Who's to say that the Linux Kernel it's self couldn't be
> snatched away, and closed right under us?
> Sheldon

Others have already replied, but I should point out that real
resources are needed to
preserve sources (e.g., make sure no one introduces nastiness in the
code), make
them available (e.g., on a web server), etc.   The original owner of
GPL code may
want to get out from under such burdens (e.g., to devote more time to
golf).  It is
only responsible to make some arrangement to transfer ownership to someone who
will preserve and serve (P&S) the GPL sources.   There is a big
difference between
linux, with may contributors and many sites dedicated to P&S, and a
project owned
by one person.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia