[nSLUG] Nexuiz and the GPL Violation

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Mon Feb 14 10:12:26 AST 2011

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, sheldon Tower wrote:

> Maybe this is old news, but I've just found out that Lee Vermeulen, founder of the open source, GPL'ed, first person shooter game, Nexuiz, was able to sell the source code and game
> content to Illfonic, a console game developer. I don't understand how Mr. Vermeulen was able to do this, but it's made me question wether or not the GPL has any real legal merit,
> and if this could happen again to other projects. If large, closed source software developers don't have some respect for the GPL, many other open source projects could be at risk.
> Who's to say that the Linux Kernel it's self couldn't be snatched away, and closed right under us?
> Sheldon

>From http://www.nexuiz.com/classic.php: "In mid-2010 it was announced that
a new XBLA, PSN, and Steam downloadable version of Nexuiz would be done
from the ground up by IllFonic using Crytek's highly anticipated
CryENGINE3 game engine."

The commercially available game is a rewrite using a different engine,
original open source is still available at the above URL.

It would also be legal to rewrite the Linux kernel and sell that. A
similar trick was done back in the day with a clean room reimplementation
of IBM's PC BIOS by Compaq.

Cheers... Dop.