[nSLUG] PVR systems

Paul Matthews paul at privatehell.com
Fri Feb 11 16:07:45 AST 2011

On Friday 11 February 2011 19:02:38 Robin Murray wrote:
> interference. I wireless keyboard is great for using your large-screen tv
> for internet access. Keep in mind you have a full system at your disposal,
> not just an appliance PVR, so you can pause your show, check your email,
> update facebook, and go back to your show again.

This is the beauty- and the problem of MythTV. I've been using it for 7-8
years now and couldn't imagine using one of the commercial appliances.

I'm in the UK at the moment, so the ad-skip feature (which worked almost
perfectly when I was in Canada) doesn't work, but the 30s skip works so well
that I actually deliberately watch ad-breaks from time to time just to keep up
with new programmes or the occasional classic ad.

My Mythbox (Xubuntu + Myth - running both front and backend) has an uptime of
64 days at the moment- it is rock solid stable, even the front end. You can
play Galaxian via MythGame/xMame :)

The problem arises when something go wrong- with an appliance, you switch it
off and on, with Myth... well... it's much less the labour of love it used to
be, but at least once in the last year the database has fubared.

So long as your willing to provide support for when things do futz up, MythTV
is, in my opinion, absolute best of breed. It's not quite "consumer ready"
though yet :)

Paul