[nSLUG] PVR systems

Ted Tibbetts intuited at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 00:09:52 AST 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 9:58 PM, Daniel Morrison <draker at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Back to the original question "is MythTV appropriate for a non technical
> person?".
>
> Ted carefully laid out four original questions -- I'm afraid that is
> not one of them.

I'm a bit afraid of that myself, since it was chief among the questions I
*intended* to pose.

Is it reasonable to expect a cost saving for a MythTV system vs a
proprietary box?  I would think that the proprietary boxes might be a bit
cheaper to build since they are not as general purpose.  Though, this may be
balanced out by the economy of scale in using general-purpose parts.  I
wouldn't expect that any tremendous amount of money is spent on OS
development for these things, so the proprietary software may not add much
to the price tag.

I'm intrigued by the remote sub-thread.  Good remote functionality is
essential, at least for my use case.  Having to use a keyboard would be a
sure dealbreaker.  Even as a gift.  Picture the intended recipient as the
subject of "$#!^ My Dad Says" and you may have some idea of what's needed.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that ext3, even with
journaling enabled, will normally run a periodic fsck based on elapsed time
(6 months?) or number of boots since the last check.  Although this doesn't
(in my experience) require user interaction -- unless you want to skip it --
it would be annoying to have to wait 10 minutes or whatever for it to finish
before you could watch TV.  But then maybe they've disabled the check, at
whatever peril that entails, or otherwise avoided such issues.  Actually it
seems like it would be ideal to run the core system off of a read-only
volume, maybe on a small flash drive.  You'd still have to wait for it to
fsck your terabytes of figure skating competitions or what have you, but at
least they could handle the situation more gracefully by doing it after boot
with some sort of informative user notification, and making some
functionality available in the meantime.

Daniel, thanks for the tip about the Shuttle.  It's not quite the right form
factor, though -- I think my target recipient would prefer something more
vcr-shaped that could fit into the limited height of the cabinet space under
the TV, especially if the thing has a DVD slot.  Also, it seems like a P4,
in addition to being hot, and thereby presumably loud, might not be able to
deal with the demands of HD.  My Pentium M 1.4GHz laptop is a bit too slow
to play compressed 1080p video without dropping frames.  Of course much of
this depends on how much work is done by the video card(s); the laptop has a
lustreless old intel craphics chip.  I noticed that one of the four Shuttles
has an Athlon 64 CPU; I'm not sure how they compare to the P4.

Anyway, thanks to all for your contributions.  I'm still very much undecided
on this, and any further revelations will be read with avid interest.

Salutations,
-Ted