[nSLUG] PVR systems

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 21:58:42 AST 2011

On 10 February 2011 19:45, Michael Sutherland <mike at checkthisshitout.com> wrote:
> On 2011-02-08, at 10:54 AM, Robin Murray wrote:
>> My system would run for months and months with 0 issues, it just hummed. The remote worked fine. It's been used by kids of all ages and non-technical spouses, and rather than being turned off or frustrated by it, they never want to go back to regular TV again. This in itself speaks volumes.

> I don't blame the remote issues on myth, I blame lircd :-), If you use a keyboard to navigate or haven't had the pleasure of capturing remote control codes using irw, then you then you have not gone far enough down the rabbit hole.

Sounds like Robin didn't need to go "down the rabbit hole", since "the
remote [has] been used by kids of all ages" without difficulty!

Actually I am curious. Could the choice of remote play a major role in
shaping users' experiences with MythTV? Do people just recycle their
old VCR remotes, or are there particularly good third party ones? I
own a SIMA SUR-25, which is programmable, and I was very happy with it
when it was in use, but it's really big, even for someone like me with
large hands. My VCR remote would be the next obvious candidate.

>> Saying the mythtv community is rude is a generality. Like most other groups, the vast majority are great, with a few assholes sprinkled in.
> Guess what bug was finally fixed?  Am I bitter? Yes...

Sometimes nastiness is misdirected or misunderstood difficulties in
communication. Many developers become impatient and short-tempered.
You might consider proof-reading your communications, and editing for
clarity.

> Back to the original question "is MythTV appropriate for a non technical person?".

Ted carefully laid out four original questions -- I'm afraid that is
not one of them.

> A simple example is after a power outage, a non technical user wouldn't know what to do when fsck rears its ugly head, but with a settop box, you just have to press power on the remote.

fsck? ext4 ships by default on major distro's now, but you're still
talking about a non-journaled filesystem like ext2? Linux runs on
plenty of settop systems (and has done for a decade now). Also: with
the money you saved on free PVR software, buy a UPS!

Note: I have never used MythTV or been involved with it. I've been
curious for some time however. While my instinct would be to try to
install it myself, piece by piece, I'm sure I would test an all-in-one
customized distro such as Mythbuntu before taking the plunge.

Ted, if you're looking for a nice "low-profile, appliance-like box",
consider a used Shuttle XPC. Here are some old eBay auctions (all
<$100, but some needed parts) as examples:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140503671490
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230577542674
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380311327702
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120673595646