[nSLUG] PVR systems

Robin Murray nibor.yarrum at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 16:10:05 AST 2011

I've found MythTV to be very easy to use - once it's set up. We had it
running for a couple of years before we got rid of cable and switched to
netflix. My wife loved it and can't stand watching regular TV anymore, and
she's very untechnical. Everything is controlled through a remote and the
main menus for browsing recordings are very easy to navigate once you catch
on. I had a client/server installation and it just sat there and hummed with
very little maintenance required.

The interface to set up recordings is a bit more clunky, but it has a web
interface which you can turn on, and you can even use it to set up the
recordings remotely for your friend with just a few clicks.

It can be a bit of a struggle to set everything up though, mostly because it
supports such a wide variety of hardware and it is an inherently complex
system with a lot of interfaces.

If you don't mind making a reasonable donation I'm sure my brother could be
talked into building you a system - he's been through the routine probably
20 or 30 times already. You may be able to take a look at his setup too so
you can check it out for yourself before taking the dive. He doesn't do this
commercially or anything, and I gain nothing financially by recommending
him.

Let me know if you want to pursue further.

--
Robin Murray
Hatchet Lake,