[nSLUG] Multiply-claimed blocks?

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 14:18:13 ADT 2011

On 31 August 2011 14:12, Dop Ganger <nslug at fop.ns.ca> wrote:
> No reason a magnetic bit on a hard drive can't be flipped as well as a bit
> in a RAM chip. Drives also do a pretty good job of dying on their own -
> http://www.usenix.org/events/fast08/tech/full_papers/bairavasundaram/bairavasundaram_html/index.html
> is a slightly depressing paper on failure rates of hard drives in a large
> scale environment. I also vaguely recall hearing about a prof who ran a
> daily md5 of all the files in his ~, and regularly found checksum errors.

Sounds to me like that prof had a bad hard drive (or maybe his
computer was at a high altitude?)

At my old job, for many years, all system files on some dozens of
machines were checksummed nightly, and any discrepancy had to be
explained. There were no (or so few as to be negligible) occurrences
of spontaneous changes.

-D.