[nSLUG] Multiply-claimed blocks?

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 14:15:18 ADT 2011

On 31 August 2011 12:55, Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:
> On 08/31/2011 01:55 AM, Mike Spencer wrote:

>> I have (and just used for this) the Slackware distro DVD.
>> It boots into a working system with (AIUI) everything on a
>> ramdisk and leaves the real HD alone until you mount or fsck it. But
>> it lacks many of the tools that I use all the time.  more instead of
>> less, vi instead of emacs [1], console only and no working support for
>> USB or LAN.
>
> Which is why you need to use live-build and make a custom rescue image
> with *exactly* the stuff you want on it! Does slack have anything like this?

I'm sure there's a live Slackware out there
(http://www.google.ca/search?q=slackware+live and there seems to be a
dozen, including "Making my own Slackware Live CD").

I haven't used the DVD to boot in... must be years and years. I
decided to stop wasting plastic and do everything with network boot
instead. So I'm not sure about the Slackware official DVD in
particular. But booting from the Slackware *floppies* (LOL) it was
simply necessary to type 'network' to launch the auto-configuring
network script.

While I agree with some of the complaints about the Slackware boot
environment (barebones shell without history search is particularly
annoying, and 'more', 'vi', etc) I nevertheless find that the
Slackware boot disc has more fundamental tools on it (things like
mdadm) than most other Linux boot CDs I have lying around (on my
network share) (e.g. gparted live, ubuntu installer, CentOS installer,
etc). I will happily use a Slackware boot, or a generic Linux Rescue
CD to do maintenance on an installation by accessing the appropriate
packages over the network. To me, it doesn't matter much if the boot
CD and the computer distro are not the same "flavour". In the unlikely
event that some custom distro-specific tools are needed, there's
always chroot. (Not possible if your libc is hosed, of course, but
that's a pretty unusual circumstance!)

-D.