[nSLUG] Multiply-claimed blocks?

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Aug 30 02:36:16 ADT 2011

My first-ever apparently unprovoked Linux crash in 12 years.
Everything stopped working.

Cold reboot produced stuff [much snipped to avoid boredom] like:

    /sbin/agetty: error while loading shared libraries lib/libc.so,6:
    invalid ELF header

    INIT: Id "c3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
    INIT: Id "c4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
    INIT: Id "c5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
    INIT: Id "c6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

    INIT: no more processes left in this run level

>From an install DVD boot, e2fsck -p reported:

    /dev/hda: File /lib/libc-2.3.6.so (inode #720234, mod time Thu Sep 14
    07:54:43 2006)

       has 1 multiply-claimed block(s) shared with 1 file(s):

    /dev/hda: File /lib/libank-2.3.6.so (inode #720235, mod time Thu Sep
    14 07:54:43 2006)

    /dev/hda3: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
         (i.e. without -a or -p options)

Did that. e2fsck reported fixing a bunch of stuff (becasue I answered
'y' to all the questions) but normal HD reboot still failed on errors
indicating that libc was bad.

[Much tedious messing about omitted...]

Finally fixed it by booting from the Slackware install DVD and
reinstalling the glibc-solibs package. Everything seems to be fine now.

Are multiply-claimed blocks a common occurrence. A reliable sign of
impending disk failure?  A black swan?

- Mike

PS: I have no idea how anybody can recover from a crash like that or
    even from many simpler things if they have only one computer. How
    do you look up stuff if you can't grovel trough the docs?

                                                           /V\