[nSLUG] New Nova Scotia Open Source mirror, mirror.its.dal.ca

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 19:56:19 ADT 2011

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 6:05 PM, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com>wrote:

> or you can use the IP address: 192.75.96.254
>
> It makes sense to use IP addresses for important servers because
> DNS problems tend to occur more often than IP address changes

I dunno about that concept.  I can't speak for Dal, but we often
upgrade services with the idea people are accessing it by hostname.

It would be rare to transfer the IP to a new server when migrations are
done.
We typically encourage access to an alias name and that floats around
as needed.

I suspect whatever happened to the DNS/host management
there was an oddity and it won't happen again in many years.