[nSLUG] tarball extract failing

robbie macg robbie.macg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 19:08:34 ADT 2011

Hi Nancy,
If you're comfortable trying to solve this problem via CLI, perhaps
you could try the following command:

tar -xzfov /Path/To/Archive.tar.gz

I'm sorry if that's dumb or too basic, but that's how I'd start if I
was trying to extract an older archive. You might have already tried
this method.
The flags -xzf are standard for extracting a TAR.GZ. I think the -o
flag might help if the archive is older or a little funky, the -v flag
will let you watch the extraction happen so you can figure out why/how
it's failing if it still craps out.
If you wanted to, you could also point the above command at a specific
directory, file or set of files like this:

tar -xzfov /Path/To/File.tar.gz /Directory/File*
(like, if this is an archive containing your old home directory, you
might want to just extract nancysoldusername/library/photos/* or
something)

IDK. Maybe that's useful?

Talk to you soon,
Robbie