[nSLUG] tarball extract failing

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 02:33:22 ADT 2011

I gather this is more a gunzip problem than a tar problem. tar will
skip over corruption and resume at the next recognizable valid block.
So you have to get over the gunzip corruption by restarting the gunzip
after the broken part. There's a technical explanation of how to do
this here:

http://www.gzip.org/recover.txt

A tool that possibly automates this procedure is gzrecover:

http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/hacking/gzrt/gzrt.html

I've never been misfortunate enough to have to try these tools though,
so I can't say how well they work.

Good luck!

-D.