[nSLUG] tarball extract failing

Nancy nancy at esnesnon.com
Wed Aug 24 01:48:59 ADT 2011

Does anyone know how I might extract some files from a .tgz file that seems to have something in it that makes it kack only a few GBs into the extract? It's a tarball of my OS X homedir and I'm pretty sure the offending file is in the Library directory. The tarball is a couple of years old and every now and then I pull it out and try (unsuccessfully) to rescue photos of my cat (that passed away). These are the only good photos of her that I have, so I never give up trying.

If there is a way for me to "look" in the file and cherry-pick what I want, that would be the ultimate. I can't even remember all of the things I have tried to get this file extracted - there have been so many: cmd line tools and graphical ones. I have tried both Linux (Debian) and OS X to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated!
-n-