[nSLUG] HP Touchpad Linux

Cliff Cameron treephrog at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 22:20:46 ADT 2011

Not sure what anyone else's plans are for these, but I've been doing some
heavy research, and there will definitely be an Android port (not condoned
by HP in any form or fashion, I'm sure) available in the very near future.

Here's where I'm at with it.

Spent almost an hour Monday morning on the phone just trying to get through
to HP. After many, many, many disconnects, incorrect transfers leading to
disconnects and being placed on hold leading to disconnects, I finally
called their business tech support line out of sheer frustration.

I don't know where the guy transferred me to, but they answered on the
second ring.

Spoke to a rep named Andrew, and confirmed this information via his
supervisor, Nikki.

They received an email late Sunday that there is a second manufacturing run
that is due for delivery to HP warehouses this week. There are, to the best
of their knowledge, no units going to retail. They will be available through
HP only.

I managed to wrangle two numbers out of them before I let them go.

1-888-999-4747

1-888-227-8454

If you call and inquire about the TouchPad, they will immediately offer to
put you in their email notification system; yeah, it probably means spam,
but you'll be notified as soon as they're available. I don't mind some
additional spam if I manage to land one of these things.

Good luck with the hunt. If anyone ends up with multiple units, please let
me know if you'd like to part with one.

Cliff