[nSLUG] Problems with Ubuntu following upgrade to release 10.04.2 LTS

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Tue Aug 23 12:52:56 ADT 2011

Since this message some time ago, I was able to back up my 'Home'
directory to a USB drive, and with Jack Warkentin's help I re-installed
my previous (no longer LTS) release 9.10.  Unfortunately, during that
installation I did a number of things differently, and didn't make notes
during the process, so I can't easily redo them and correct several
errors I made, but didn't notice immediately.  Jack has offered to give
me a hand again, when we can get together, and I will probably install
release 10.04.3, correcting my errors as I go.  I have been away the
past two weekends (grandchildren's soccer tournaments, etc.), so this
has had to take a lower priority..
I created a separate Data partition during the ne installation, which
would make backup easier, but I discovered that the system did not
automatically connect to that partition when I did the install -the
install created its own data partition, with samples and documentation
-which will be of no real value when I install the next release.  I also
specified that the data partition should be encrypted, which could be
part of the problem for the failure to connect -I don't know.  Maybe I
should keep it simpler for now by not specifying encryption but
retaining the separate data partition, but I will have to look into that
-any suggestions would be appreciated.
A second problem which occurred during the installation was that I
apparently didn't test the keyboard sufficiently -special characters
such as '|', '<', and '>' are not properly handled, which causes some
problems.  It was suggested that I edit the /etc/default/keyboard file
to change the keyboard model, layout, variant, and options, and then
re-boot.  My Ubuntu  installation apparently doesn't have such a file.
There is a file /etc/default/console-setup which has several of those
keywords (XKBMODEL="pc105", which should be o.k., XKBLAYOUT="ro" rather
than the suggested "us", XKBVARIANT="std" rather than the suggested "",
and XKBOPTIONS="lv3:ralt_switch" rather than the suggested
"terminate:ctgrl_alt_bksp") in it, but since I plan to re-install, there
is probably no point in tampering with this setup and possibly causing
bootup problems.  I have been able to produce these symbols in commands
by creating a file with the require commands on my desktop Windows
system, copying them to a thumb drive, and copying and pasting them into
a command in a terminal session.
Frank