[nSLUG] Splitting mp3 files

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Fri Aug 5 18:50:56 ADT 2011

> I have over 400 mp3 files that need introductory and trailing remarks
> removed. I have to find these points by ear. They are all VBR encoded. I
> tried Audacity and was put off by how slow it is to load and save the
> files.

Have you looked at sox? The splice subcommand will let you take arbitrary
chunks and, as it says on the tin, splice the together. From the man page:

"
        splice  [-h|-t|-q] { position[,excess[,leeway]] }

               Splice together audio sections.  This effect provides two
               things over simple audio concatenation: a (usually short)
               cross-fade is applied at the join, and a wave similarity
               comparison is made to help determine the best place at which
               to make the join."

Any gui mp3 player should do the job scanning through the files. I use
audacious myself, YMMV.

Cheers... Dop.