[nSLUG] JavaScript Reference...

Ted Tibbetts intuited at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 00:53:28 ADT 2011

Looks like the 3rd edition hasn't been released yet: the page Daniel linked
to mentions a "Pre-order price guarantee", and gives the publication date as
"Dec 6 2011".  Though that may be a typo.  The [second edition][] was
published in 2001, making it more or less obsolete these days.

I recently read "Javascript: The Good Parts" by Douglas Crockford (the
author of the [jslint](http://jslint.com/) syntax checker).  He's a bit
particular and opinionated about certain things, but nevertheless provides a
good overview of the language's core concepts.  Higher-level things like
choosing a framework or performing specific tasks are not covered; this book
just focuses on the language itself.  He focuses a lot on things like using
closure for encapsulation and other FP-influenced techniques.

For online references, I find the MDC docs helpful.  Although they are
oriented towards Mozilla's implementation (technically JavaScript™ itself),
they are thorough about denoting which methods, etc. are extensions from
ECMAScript3 / JS1.5.  It looks like they've (partially?) updated this to
show what's in ECMAScript 5: e.g. the entry for [Object.create][] shows that
it has been assigned the "ECMAScript5" tag, but its entry in the [Object][]
page just notes that it "Requires JavaScript 1.8.5".

[second edition]:
http://www.amazon.com/JavaScript-Complete-Reference-Thomas-Powell/dp/0072191279
[Object.create]:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/Object/create