[nSLUG] JavaScript Reference...

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 16:54:49 ADT 2011

If you're coding in Javascript and like hard copy references it looks
quite useful. Depends which edition. The 3rd edition covers 'Ajax and
HTML5' so it sounds reasonably up to date, and cheaper than the 2nd
edition on Amazon. However there are no reviews.

http://www.amazon.ca/JavaScript-Complete-Reference-Thomas-Powell/dp/0071741208

Personally I'd save the $40 and consult a free online reference. But I
like online references better than the dead tree versions.

If you're not coding Javascript, I'm sure it would make a very useful
paper weight, or a shim for a wonky bit of furniture, etc. but it may
prove expensive compared to a cheaper book, or even a block of wood or
a rock. But you can't fold paper airplanes from the leaves of a rock,
so the book does have its advantages.

Note that  I haven't actually used this book for any purpose, so you
may want to Google search for the opinions people who have. Some
reviews of the 1st and 2nd editions appear very positive.

"great job of introducing the javascript core language in a thorough
and engaging way"

"not a book for pure novices"

"extraordinarily lucid presentation of JavaScript and its related technologies"

"only read through chapter 12, but I've learned more from this book
than three prior JavaScript texts combined"

"writing is tight, the code samples are well crafted and
self-contained and I've only found four mistakes in 400 pages of text"

"pleasantly written and easy to read, but unfortunately there are some
important ommissions as far as describing the JavaScript language
itself."

"Inheritence is barely mentioned. There is no explanation at all of
how to invoke the parent constructor with parameters. Exceptions are
not explained at all in the first part of the book"

"solid reference to JavaScript. All of the examples in the book that I
tried were portable"

N.B. While I don't condone IP theft, searching for 'JavaScript "The
Complete Reference" Thomas Powell review' on Google provides a link
(fourth one) where the 1st edition of the ebook can be
stolen^H^H^H^H^H^Hdownloaded (rar'd pdf).

-D.