[nSLUG] Server update.

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 23:24:51 ADT 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 8:13 PM, Jim Haliburton <jim at on-site.ns.ca> wrote:

> Speaking of which.  What does it take for me to connect with a graphical
> desktop to the Linux unit?  Would I use an Xterminal program on my XP
> desktop
> and what would I have to setup or change on the Linux side so I can see the
> same graphical desktop remotely as I see at the console?

I can't vouch for the quality, but I see Windows software called
Xming (sourceforge has the public domain version).  Many years
ago I used Exceed by Hummingbird.  It is now owned by OpenText.
A little pricey, but it works well and might be worth it if this is
for professional use.

Yes I do use the default desktop on Centos and I do use the text based login
> as
> well on the console. The graphical tools for admin are pretty good and for
> quick and simple tasks they can avoid the mistakes that can come from
> infrequent use, or memory lapses.   I do have CRAFT disease from time to
> time.

I'm typing this in gmail on iceweasel within Debian on my Atom 230.  I am
running a display of 1920x1080 at 24 bit color.  It works well for most
desktop use but begins to stutter with higher definition (480p+) video
playback.