[nSLUG] Server update.

Jim Haliburton jim at on-site.ns.ca
Wed Sep 8 20:13:03 ADT 2010

Will answer some questions that were posed.

The case is a mini tower that unfortunately was in my New Old stock stash.
Wish I could get some more but not available.  So it is a normal tower layout
and a generic PC Power Supply.  I will not buy a case if it uses a proprietary
power supply.  So this policy puts the mini-ITX cases out of the question.

Yes there is no PCIe slot.  There is however a PCIe Full-Mini card slot.  This
is new to me and I will have to find out more.  The onboard PCI slot was used
for an Intel Server NIC.  This faces the Internet.  The built in card faces the
Internal network in the office.

As was suggested I catted /proc/cpuinfo.  There it describes a total of 2
cores, hyperthreaded.

Each core is only 3333 BogoMips.  The number given by dmesg is 4 times that
figure which reflects the 2 cores and 2 threads per core.  I will assume that
cpuinfo is likely closer to being correct.  Will investigate further as time
permits.  Still a combined BogoMips of 6600 is pretty good, for the price and
the power consumed.

The fan issue was annoying in client machines.  I solved it with the use of
ceramic bearing fans that fit right into the factory heatsink.  My desktop XP
system has been using this for over a year after it failed in the first 6 weeks
of use.  Expect these type of fans to run 6-10 years before getting noisy.  I
have never replaced one of any size in the 3 years I have been using them.  I
have them up to 120mm size.  Some are even 5 volt for certain brands of 24 port
switches.

The board also reflects the need for serial and parallel ports.  There are 2
serial headers and 1 parallel header on the motherboard.  I have found many new
boards have parallel port headers on them, and some with the serial headers as
well.  It turns out that there are still a lot of uses for these ports in
industrial and other applications.  I have heard about but not seen touch
screens that want serial ports rather than USB ports for the input to the host.

Working on the system today, I found the graphical desktop to be very quick,
easily as fast or faster than my XP system with the same CPU.

Speaking of which.  What does it take for me to connect with a graphical
desktop to the Linux unit?  Would I use an Xterminal program on my XP desktop
and what would I have to setup or change on the Linux side so I can see the
same graphical desktop remotely as I see at the console?

Yes I do use the default desktop on Centos and I do use the text based login as
well on the console. The graphical tools for admin are pretty good and for
quick and simple tasks they can avoid the mistakes that can come from
infrequent use, or memory lapses.   I do have CRAFT disease from time to time.

Thanks all for your comments and interest.

Jim H