[nSLUG] Built new server

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 16:32:03 ADT 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Scott Walsh <walsh at cs.dal.ca> wrote:

> "Of course this is completely wrong, unreliable, ill-founded, and
> utterly useless..."

Before we had wikipedia and such to check on these things,
I had assumed bogo mips was a notation for Bogus MIPS,
so yes, it is intended as a ball park measurement.  The Atom CPU might
be able to get through the test quickly simply by being so
minimalist as a CPU design.  The test is simply running a loop,
which might avoid CISC instruction translations required for
typical executables (just speculating here).

--Donald