[nSLUG] Built new server

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 12:48:06 ADT 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Jim Haliburton <jim at on-site.ns.ca> wrote:

> Recently I had a need to build  a small low power consuming server. I had
> previously built a test server using the Intel D945GCLF2 Mini-ITX
> motherboard.
> The downside to this was it had a fan which is prone to an early failure,
> and
> the board was limited to 2 Gb of RAM.

My fan started to die at 3 months.  It is terrible to risk the
stability of the system on a 25 cent (or less) part.  I replaced
it with a huge Antec Spot Cool fan.

> Intel has upgraded the board to the D510MO board.  It has a large heatsink
> and
> 2 memory slots to allow up to 4 Gb of RAM.  There is NO fan on the
> motherboard
> and none is required.  A downside is there are only 2 SATA ports and there
> is
> no PATA port which the older board had.
>
> Both of these boards support PS2 keyboards and mice, whick my KVM switch
> uses.

Yay.  Making the keyboard/mouse/video change for the home user is
a small expense.  Doing it for the KVM user is an expense and
a hassle to avoid the requirement to run 2 KVM setups.

So yesterday I built a new server with a single 500 Gb SATA drive, a DVD
> burner, and 2 Gb of RAM.  I added an Intel 100 mb NIC to join the built in
> Realtek NIC.   I am pleased to report that Centos 5.5 found all the
> hardware
> correctly.  I used the 32 bit version and SMP was detected and used by
> default.

You have only one PCI slot, so you have to decide what you need.
In my older Atom board, the built-in NIC died and so I had to add
in a replacement for that.

> The amazing thing about this board is the dual core hyperthreaded CPU is
> seen
> as a 4 core unit by Linux.  The BogoMips report in dmesg shows over 13,300
> which I thought was pretty amazing.
>
> How does this compare to other servers that users have?

I assume you are talking about combined BogoMips reported.

First gen Atom: 6388 BogoMIPS
Dell Optiplex 760 (basic desktop model,
Intel dual core 2.6 Ghz): 10643 BogoMIPS
Dell Poweredge 2900 with 2 Xeon 5150 @ 2.6 Ghz: 21284 BogoMIPS

--Donald