[nSLUG] giving away 2 sparcstation 20

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 13:51:01 ADT 2010

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca>wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 11:59:29AM -0300, D G Teed wrote:
> >
> > Both have been tested with a Solaris 9 install in the past week.
>
> Can openSolaris run on these?

OpenSolaris has same system requirements as Solaris 10,
roughly, and it requires 64 bit sparc proc, so the answer is no.

It can run older editions of Linux, or current editions of
NetBSD or OpenBSD.  Current NetBSD (5.0) doesn't support
multi-processors at this time, so it can either run in
single proc mode or drop back to NetBSD 3.1
where MP is supported and stable on sparc arch.

I would think it would be better as a low impact
server rather than as a desktop.