[nSLUG] first test of Debian squeeze

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 08:20:46 ADT 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 4:35 PM, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:

> I wanted to check out postfix 2.7 (esp. postscreen) and
> it's offered in Debian squeeze (still in testing status).
> I installed it by installing Debian netinst of 5.0 (minimal) and then
> switching sources to squeeze and upgrading.

I installed squeeze (amd64) in a QEMU VM using one of the daily builds:

"To install Debian testing, we recommend you use the daily builds of
the installer."

This worked fine -- the only problem was slow download rates for the
installer .iso image,
but since the image is small that wasn't a huge deal.  I'll be using
squeeze to look for problems with things I use (SageMath, R, SciPy,
Java, Fortran, TeX, hdf4+5, netcdf 3+4).

First observation:

memory requirements seem high.  Installing with 256M failed, and I was
shorton time, so I installed with 1G (host machine has 8G), then tried
booting with 256M and the system hung (probably in grub2) after
display a single underscore.   Usually VM's are distributed with a
minimum memory setting and you increase the setting if you need more.

> I'm not sure I like the new config manners of grub 2,
> but I guess we'll have to live with it.  I liked
> the old menu.lst file the way it was.

Grub2 is based on a Japanese boot loader called PUPA -- one of the goals is
internationalization.  Grub Legacy may have been fine for those of us who use
English, but the only way to support the rest of the world was "redo
from start".

> I'm impressed with the parallel and dependancy
> checking of services.  I timed the system boot
> from grub, and it took 14 seconds from
> kernel to login prompt on regular SATA drives.
>
> ext4 support is provided, but the way I installed
> this couldn't be selected from the installer.
> Might look at converting via tune2fs.

I just let the installer use the single partition configuration --
it dot not offer to use ext4.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia