[nSLUG] Recovering data from a drive

Nancy nancy at esnesnon.com
Mon Oct 4 12:36:26 ADT 2010

Wow, I managed to find an old server backup from 2006! Here's the relevant snip from the post:

Follow the instructions at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106388 and boot into single user mode. Once you're in single user mode, type:

> mount -uw
> ipconfig set en0 MANUAL 192.168.1.xx 255.255.255.0 (use your own IP and subnet here)

This will mount the drive and set the IP for the machine. (You might have to start the ipconfig service before you can assign the IP). I also had to go in and start the SSH daemon. What I ended up doing was using SCP to copy files one by one from the iBook to another machine. I was able to recover most of what I wanted before I began to be plagued by disk IO Errors.

Hopefully it might be of some help!
-Nancy-