[nSLUG] Recovering data from a drive

Tony Abou-Assaleh taa at acm.org
Mon Oct 4 11:50:36 ADT 2010

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 7:16 AM, Dop Ganger <nslug at fop.ns.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Oct 2010, Tony Abou-Assaleh wrote:
>
> > I have an old macbook that stopped functioning. I'm trying to recover the
> data from the HDD. However, when I put the drive in a USB case, it made a
> few cracking sounds and
> > didn't show up as a USB device. Does anyone on the list have experience
> recovering data from crashed drives (or know someone who does)? It's mostly
> photos and such that I
> > didn't manage to backup in time.
>
> http://www.salvagedata.ca/docs/failed-hard-drive-sounds/ has a nice
> collection of audio files so you can identify the problem. My guess is a
> problem with the heads. You might be able to successfully try one of the
> tricks like freezing the drive in a ziplock bag, but I suspect you're
> going to be paying for data recovery if the files are that important. I
> have no particular recommendations but a google for "data recovery canada"
> comes up with plenty of options. I would expect that a Macbook drive would
> be comparatively easy to salvage since Apple tend to stick with a
> particular drive for the lifetime of the model.
>
> Cheers... Dop.

Thanks Dop for the info. Based on the audio files, it appears to be a
problem with heads as you suggested. I tried the "live chat" on the site and
was put on "indefinite hold" .. I didn't expect the "all our agents are busy
.." message in live chat, especially when it lasted for several hours before
i gave up.

TAA