[nSLUG] Recovering data from a drive

Nancy nancy at esnesnon.com
Fri Oct 1 12:29:36 ADT 2010

Hi All,

I'll pop out of lurk-mode for a moment to jump in on this one... I had the drive fail on my Macbook a few years back and was able to get it to boot long enough to recover some of the files. I wrote up a blog post on it when it happened but that blog is no longer around. I'll have a look over the weekend and see if I can find an archive of the post. But as I recall, I used the tools disk that came with the Mac, and was able to connect remotely to the machine and scp at least some of the files from the machine. I'm assuming that I put it into some sort of single user mode.

Does the drive still spin at all? It may be possible to start the Macbook in target disk mode and use it as a firewire drive long enough to get recover your photos.

Good luck! And I'll get back re: the blog post.
-Nancy-