[nSLUG] Recovering data from a drive

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Fri Oct 1 07:16:57 ADT 2010

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010, Tony Abou-Assaleh wrote:

> I have an old macbook that stopped functioning. I'm trying to recover the data from the HDD. However, when I put the drive in a USB case, it made a few cracking sounds and
> didn't show up as a USB device. Does anyone on the list have experience recovering data from crashed drives (or know someone who does)? It's mostly photos and such that I
> didn't manage to backup in time.

http://www.salvagedata.ca/docs/failed-hard-drive-sounds/ has a nice
collection of audio files so you can identify the problem. My guess is a
problem with the heads. You might be able to successfully try one of the
tricks like freezing the drive in a ziplock bag, but I suspect you're
going to be paying for data recovery if the files are that important. I
have no particular recommendations but a google for "data recovery canada"
comes up with plenty of options. I would expect that a Macbook drive would
be comparatively easy to salvage since Apple tend to stick with a
particular drive for the lifetime of the model.

Cheers... Dop.