[nSLUG] Omniglobe Broadband: gratuitous nanny

Adam Hartling adam.hartling.ns at gmail.com
Mon May 31 11:00:41 ADT 2010

>His description of the problem was a little vague, as non-tech users'
usually are, but the core of the >problem seemed to be, when he visited a
pr0n site, another site popped up offering him access if he got ?>an account
with it.

I love that he admitted he was at a pr0n site, no one I ever help admits it
lol.

>He brought his MacBook to my place yesterday morning - and it worked fine,
which would have been very >frustrating except he'd done a "Save As" of the
popup / page HTML in question so I could look at it.

That's awesome, he saved the page, man I wish I had you're friends as my
users. Mine always close and dismiss all the pages and messages, then come
to me with no idea what they said or anyway to reproduce them.

>I'm guessing that this is the DNS server he got by default from his ISP,
Omniglobe Broadband, pointed to >the OpenDNS nanny ("filtering") service.

What is with ISP's screwing around with DNS lately? At least I haven't seen
those failed to retrieve page search results from Eastlink in a while, but I
assume they're still doing it.

-----
Atlantic Canada Open Source Showcase blog:  http://acoss.wordpress.com
http://acoss.wordpress.com