[nSLUG] Linuxfest "Backups" presentation

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Thu May 13 13:33:05 ADT 2010

On 05/13/2010 01:15 PM, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> That's what /opt is for.  Try re-educating them?
>
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#OPTADDONAPPLICATIONSOFTWAREPACKAGES

Oh.  You didn't exactly say the one dir was in /usr/bin.  I just assumed
that.  Maybe they already use /opt?

I find software that is distributed by the vendor to /opt rather
convenient to install/uninstall, and particularly convenient to have
more than one version of the same package installed at once (e.g.
Netbeans IDE).  It is a scheme particularly suited to and therefore
favoured by ISVs and I think it has its uses there.  I also appreciate
knowing where all of the vendor-provided files are when I'm filing bugs
against my distribution so that I know the distribution isn't "tainted"
by said files and therefore may be exhibiting buggy behaviour for
reasons outside of the distribution's direct control.

Ben