[nSLUG] Linuxfest "Backups" presentation

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu May 13 12:49:16 ADT 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:22 AM, David Payne <david at payneful.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 8:56 AM, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> 1) don't keep data with the apps -- older Windows programs
>> encouraged this, and may people still want to do this (and
>> routinely work in linux using the "root" account so they can put
>> data in /usr/bin!)
>
> I agree.  That's one of my gripes with the Linux version of X-Plane.  They
> like to shove everything in one huge directory.  They say it's good because
> if you want to remove X-Plane you just delete the directory and you removed
> everything.  They even encourage Windows users not to use shortcuts.
>
> Why would someone want to put data in /usr/bin/?  That doesn't make any
> sense to me.  But I am a relative newcomer to the *nix world, 7 years.

The people who want to keep data in /usr/bin are the ones who installed
linux on their new PC because Vista wouldn't let them put documents in
the "Program Files" tree.   They have only one user, "root", use the file
manager to find the office programs (e.g., /usr/bin/swriter, /usr/bin/[g]calc,
etc.), and put all their documents in the same place.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia