[nSLUG] Linuxfest "Backups" presentation

David Payne david at payneful.ca
Thu May 13 11:22:17 ADT 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 8:56 AM, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com>wrote:

> 1) don't keep data with the apps -- older Windows programs
> encouraged this, and may people still want to do this (and
> routinely work in linux using the "root" account so they can put
> data in /usr/bin!)

I agree.  That's one of my gripes with the Linux version of X-Plane.  They
like to shove everything in one huge directory.  They say it's good because
if you want to remove X-Plane you just delete the directory and you removed
everything.  They even encourage Windows users not to use shortcuts.

Why would someone want to put data in /usr/bin/?  That doesn't make any
sense to me.  But I am a relative newcomer to the *nix world, 7 years.

David