[nSLUG] do non-latin TLD's work on older systems?

Hatem Nassrat hnassrat at gmail.com
Mon May 10 11:13:47 ADT 2010

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 2:28 PM, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'd be interested to know how older software handles the new TLD's.
> Do all linux
> browsers display the URL's in punycode?

Opera and safari (not linux) work, whereas the other browsers are still to
catch up. I am assuming all that safari/opera is doing is detecting the
"xn--..." sequence and decoding it. I believe the xn-- form is how the
browsers do dns lookups and other url related requests from the server. I
haven't read the full article but I would think some of the details are
mentioned here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalized_domain_name

--
Hatem Nassrat